It’s June and the temperature is rising. Is there a hot spot in your yard that needs some color? By carefully selecting which annuals you put there, you can avoid constant watering and save your plants from an untimely expiration due to heat exhaustion! Create lasting summer color in your yard or containers with these xeric annuals for Colorado!
- Bachelor Button (Centaurea cyanus), available in several colors; grows 15 to 20 inches tall; reseeds.
- California Poppy (Eschscholzia californica), yellow/orange, 12 to 18 inches tall; reseeds.
- Cleome (Cleome hassleriana), white, pink or purple; 36 inches tall.
- Cosmos (Cosmos bipinnatis), pink, white, purple; 36 inches tall; reseeds.
- Dusty Miller (Senecio cineraria) silver grey foliage; 8 to 12 inches tall.
- Four O’clocks (Mirabilis jalapa), yellow, pink, white, red; 15 to 30 inches tall; reseeds.
- Globe Amaranth (Gomphrena globosa), lavender, white, pink, 12 to 14 inches tall.
- Lantana (Lantana camara), many color combinations such as orange and yellow or pink and red; 12 to 24 inches tall.
- Marigold (Tagetes species), yellow and orange; 6 to 30 inches tall.
- Moss Rose (Portulaca grandifloria), many colors; 6 to 8 inches tall; somewhat trailing; reseeds.
- Petunia (Petunia x hybrida), many colors; 6 to 18 inches tall; upright and trailing varieties.
- Fan Flower (Scaevola aemula), blue, violet and white; 6 to 12 inches high; trailing up to 24 inches.
- Silver Falls vine (Dichondra hybrid), silver grey foliage; trailing vines up to 4 feet long.
- Sweet Alyssum (Lobularia maritima), white and violet; 4 to 8 inches tall; fragrant.
- Verbena (Verbena hybrida), red, purple, white, blue; 8 inches tall and spreading 12 to 24 inches.
- Zinnia (Zinnia hybrids), many colors; 8 to 36 inches tall.
(List provided by Wilmore Outdoor Living Center, Littleton, CO)